Powered By Blogger

Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Day In The Life of a Wannabee SMC: The Package Arrives, and The Riveting Mama Panics.

Ah yes, the mid-cycle discombobulation.  Every woman going through fertility treatments understands exactly what I'm talking about.  I looked at my calender, trying to figure out my schedule.  I realized that I had some work and U/S cross-over issues.  Crap...had to get those sorted out.  Then, I had to call and arrange the "pick-up."  (Much less awkward conversation this time, lol).  And, of course, call Freedom to get my trigger shot shipped out.  All before I had to go into work at 3pm yesterday.

Then, this morning, CD 10, I had a positive OPK.  This is not good.  I have made no secret that I am a fan of the Clearblue Fertility Monitor.  This month, another SMC donated two boxes of the Clear Blue Digital Ovulation Tests.  So, I decided to use these.  This morning, I saw a smiley.  I panicked.  I don't have my juice and cannot pick it up on a weekend. I also can't leave work to go have an IUI.  Shit, shit, shit.  I calmed myself down, and called Jami.  She said to disregard it.  Too early.  She said it could be too close to my last dose of Femara.  I've read about women detecting multiple LH surges during their cycles too.  But, that doesn't mean I'm not panicking.  I have NOT felt any ovulation cramping, and last cycle, I did; no mistaking it.

Any other ladies have those experiences?

Also, "the package" arrived this morning.  Anyone who has never gotten fertility meds before is usually surprised when this shows up:  a rather large box with a bursting package inside.  Um, I thought I only ordered one injection.  Is this someone's IVF meds? 



You open up the pouch, only to discover that, nope, they didn't screw up your order.  You didn't cash in and just receive a massive ammount of misdirected IVF meds that you can save, "just in case."  Nope, the only thing inside this huge box is this:

The illusive "trigger shot."  You open up the box and double check that it is the right medication and that it is not expired; you must report any issues within 24 hours. You stash the shot in the fridge right away; it must be kept cool or it could degrade, and you just wasted $80.  When you are told, you will give yourself this shot, which will tell your ovaries to let go of any eggs they have been diligently growing in exactly 36 hours.

And now, I wait.  For the next few days to pass so I can see what the heck is going on in there.  For the next time I have to pee so I can check another OPK, hoping the smiley face will go away.  Waiting stinks, and fertility treatments include a lot of it.       

No comments:

Post a Comment