Powered By Blogger

Saturday, February 9, 2013

A numbers game, or, rolling the dice...

Well, at this point, it is all about numbers.  Money, insurance, timing, and now, labs.  I feel like I'm gambling, rolling the dice, hoping for a seven, or whatever it is supposed to be (I only gamble with my life, never my money...the odds are better that way). 

Anyways, I worked a night shift and went in for my bloodwork bright and early the morning of CD 3.  The lovely resident didn't enter in the right lab code for the AMH, but the tech drew it anyways, saying she'd call him later to figure it out. 

I called that afternoon for the results, and no call back.  So, I called yesterday morning.  I got a call back from the nurse stating that my TSH was elevated at 5.9, but she didn't give me any more information than that.  So, I called back.  The nurse said she didn't have time to talk to me and would call me back, but . . . you guessed it, she never did.  So, being the pain in the ass patient that I am, I called the on-call today.  Now, I work in healthcare, and I work as many screwy hours as this poor on-call resident does.  I understand that this is not ideal.  If my appointments were further off, I'd have waited until early next week.  But, that's not the case.  I wanted the numbers so I could do the research.  Here's what I found out:

Prolactin: 9
LH: 2.1
FSH: 4.5
E2: 32
AMH: 2.1

TSH: 5.9
Free T4: 1.13

All of those values are within normal limits except for the TSH.  An interesting thing to note is that my LH is lower than my FSH.  In PCOS patients, the LH tends to be higher.  This doesn't rule out PCOS at all, but I'm taking any good sign I can get.  I am a bit irritated that Dr. Idiot didn't think that I need thyroid meds right now.  This resident I talked to today also said that they would only treat me after I am pregnant.  According to everything I have read, anything above 2.5 affects fertility.  So, how is not treating it logical?  Also, they won't order a free T3, which should be done at this point, given the free T4 was normal.  Grr...I really hope the RE office is better about all of this.  

I did, however, manage to get my HSG scheduled for Tuesday morning.  For those of you who don't yet know, the HSG is a test where dye is injected into your uterus to all for more detailed imaging of the uterus and fallopian tubes.  Mainly, this is used for checking anatomical abnormalities, like blocked tubes or uterine scarring.  Many women will try to get pregnant a few times before having it, but for those of us who are paying dearly every cycle, it's a good idea to check things out before trying in vain.  The disadvantage is that it can hurt.  The pain can range anywhere from mild cramping to all out jumping off the table pain.  I am not looking forward to this at all.  The one advantage I can think of is that an OB/GYN will be doing the test herself, so I should be able to find out what things look like right away and ask any questions I have, IF I am not in too much pain to think.

So, there you have it for now.  Any advice or feedback anyone has for me would be much appreciated.  I'll write again and let you all know how it goes.   

No comments:

Post a Comment