Powered By Blogger

Tuesday, February 12, 2013

"Your cervix is running away and hiding from me."

Well, I had my HSG today. It was interesting to say the least. I had to go to OB to POAS just to make sure I wasn't pregnant. I told them it was a bit redundant at this point, but I did it anyways. After the BFN was confirmed, I got to wander through the new part of the hospital and get lost on my way to radiology.
I waited around for awhile, then a VERY pregnant nurse came to get me. I went into the exam room and got undressed. I laid on an x-ray table and put my feet in their makeshift stirrups. I chatted with the nurse a bit and listened to the woman in the next room scream in agony. Foreshadow foreshadow....
The OB/GYN came in and the fun began. First came the speculum, which was freezing since it needed to stay sterile and thus couldn't be warmed. Next she scrubbed my cervix with pink soapy solution to remove any normal flora that was on it. She kept having to readjust the speculum, saying, "Your cervix doesn't like to be messed with, so it wants to run away and hide from me."
After that, she injected my cervix with lidocaine to numb it up. Little bee sting my ass! She tried to thread the catheter through, but my cervix, like me, is stubborn and doesn't give was easily. So, another massive bee sting and a dilator was needed to get the job done.
At that point, the radiologist came in to take the snapshot. He put the camera over my pelvis, being creative to work around my knees. Then came the dye. I quickly understood why the woman next door was screaming. Cramping is an understatement. I didn't scream, but I whined as loudly as I could. Thank god for nurses. They can hold hands and comfort patients like no one else can during a moment like that.
The pain stopped when the dye stopped , thank God. And, good news! Tubes open, no other concerns. I'm glad to know that this is the case, and all I can say is this kid better appreciate all I went through to give him/her life.

And now, I am pleased to present my uterus for your viewing pleasure, or lack thereof, whichever the case may be:



4 comments:

  1. OUCH! Sorry you had to go through that! It must be nice to know that everything's operational, though, and it's kind of cool to see everything.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I wanted a printout of the picture, and they told me that they couldn't do it because of costs *cough* bullshit *cough*! So, the nurse pretended not to look while I took a pic of the screen with my Iphone.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, ouch! I heard those can be really painful. The whole process is pretty physically demanding right up through breastfeeding. I'm in a single mother by choice group on Facebook and most of the women on there are just thinking about it for now - there's a thread where they talk about how many children they want, and everyone (except me) says they want 2+. They must be out they damn minds!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL; I'm kind of in the two kids category myself right now. But, we'll see how it goes. Which group are you a part of on Facebook? I'm just in the choice moms and SMC ones for now.

      Delete